Before you set off:
- Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to prepare your vehicle, get up 10 minutes early to give yourself extra time
- Scrape any ice and snow off ALL of your windows and external mirrors
- Clear your roof of any snow - it can pose a serious hazard if it were to slip off your roof whilst driving
- Do NOT use hot water to clear your windscreen - it may crack
- 3mm is the recommended tread depth on your tyres for snow/ice - dont deflate to try and increase grip, it doesnt work and is unsafe
- Dont leave your vehicle unattended whilst letting it warm up - if it gets stolen your insurance may not cover it.
- Put a blanket and some snacks in your boot in case of emergency.
- Take it SLOW
- Accelerate and decelerate GENTLY.
- Only use your brakes where necessary and do so gently
- Setting off in 2nd gear can lower the chance of wheelspin.
- When going uphill try not to stop and keep a steady speed.
- When traveling down hill slow down before reaching the hill and select a lower gear and avoiding braking unless necessary.
- REMEMBER stopping sitances are 10 X longer in icy conditions
- If you do skid, steer gently into it - for example, if the rear of the car is sliding to the right, steer to the right. Do not take your hands off the steering wheel or stamp your foot on the brakes.
Want to save time? Invest in a car cover.
If in doubt, dont travel!
Stay safe everyone and enjoy the snow.